I am asked often to give my take on current American and global events and trends. I work hard to resist merely reacting to the latest vulgar Presidential tweet or utopian fantasy of socialist candidates. I work hard to cultivate conversations and explore differences with kindness, love and thoughtfulness. Regardless of intention, I find some folks (on all sides) angry that I do not approve of their ideas. Sometimes I am accused of not listening when I simply disagree with the arguments presented.
Here are some first thoughts on key issues:
- No one is addressing the serious federal, state, and local budget crises that continue indebting future generations.
- Our 24/7 data-age makes reflection challenging…it is easier to accuse and lamely retract than research carefully and offer tentative conclusions adjusted by evidence.
- There are no impeachable offenses uncovered by current investigations: just highly partisan inferences. Best solution? Win at the ballot box.
- Gender confusion is destroying our shared sense of human identity and causing deeper harms that some well-meaning folks intend. Behind the curtain of some groups, there is a deep hatred of the biological family with the nuclear bond of Mom-Dad-Child(ren).
- Political correctness and hair-trigger emotional insecurities threaten the true intent of the First Amendment: we must live peaceably with deep differences, not silence voices we dislike.
- Economic and social justice are not achieved with more government money and programs: access, equity, opportunity, and relationships (along with reasonable ethical oversight) are all part of liberating people from despair and poverty.
- Israel is a gift to the world. Every time a crazed mob chants, “From the Rover to the Sea, Palestine will be free!” it is a call for elimination of the only democracy in the region and ultimately extermination of the Jews.
I will share more soon. For now, I urge my readers to reflect before reacting, pray for your persecutors, and engage in deep self-examination. I see hopeful signs of an awakening as we each know that today’s discipline in tomorrow’s destiny.